Sunday, January 15, 2006

Taming the Closet III


Part II
Part I

Yesterday, I was inspired by the idea of putting everything in one place. Wow, maybe this blogging has some payoffs! So I started doing that in my room -- medical supplies, personal care, office stuff, isolated- toys- that- belong-in- a- set (like Legos, blocks, etc -- anyone besides me have several boxes filled with these poor little misfits?)

What I ended up doing:
  • Vacuuming the floor of the closet thoroughly.
  • Going through all the mystery boxes in my closet and making a start in sorting them.
  • Straightening the junk drawer in the dresser and writing out an inventory.
  • Giving the "babies" a happy couple of hours sorting through all the little misfit toys.
  • Rearranging my medicine boxes
  • Tidying my "medicine shelf" in our room.
  • Vacuuming in the corners of our bedroom.
Today I did some more snow shovelling and if I get to it, maybe I'll start trying to actually sort the books a bit in there. You notice how as you progress through a job like this it gets more and more detailed and conceptually difficult? That 80/20 Principle applies though -- the closet's not there yet, but it isn't the fire-breathing dragon it was a week or so ago. The last 20% will probably take 80% of the time, but in this first 20% I got it 80% better.

The way we live our days is the way we live our lives
--Annie Dillard

No comments: