Friday, July 06, 2007

Friday -- Fitness




I am getting close to reaching my weight goal. So I am slowly switching over to maintenance. I've never made a realistic maintenance plan before, so hopefully that will help keep the good changes in place.

Here is an example.
Here's another.

Here's a more scholarly research article.

Successful maintainers as a rule:

  • Eat breakfast
  • Exercise (most often, brisk walking)
  • Regularly monitor their weight "Preventing small regains from turning into larger relapses appears critical to recovery among successful weight losers."
  • Had a trigger for their initial decision to lose weight
  • Maintained consistency during the week or season -- in other words, did not "let up" on maintenance on weekends, holidays, or vacations
  • Have a lower level of dietary disinhibition -- happily, this was defined:

Another predictor of successful weight loss maintenance was a lower level of dietary disinhibition, which is a measure of periodic loss of control of eating. Participants who had fewer problems with disinhibition [ie, scores <6> Inventory subscale ] were 60% more likely to maintain their weight over 1 y.
In one of the other articles I read that the longterm maintainers usually have a personalized plan that fits their own way of life. During my active maintainance time I am going to experiment a bit with this. But really, everything I am doing right now -- I could pretty much continue forever. I made an effort never to starve myself and to listen to my body and this seems to have been successful.

No comments: