Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wednesday -- Works

I decided to keep a log of what I am doing today to tackle our cleaning crisis

This is something that's often been helpful to me when I am transitioning, or have to catch up on something, or refocus. That is, keeping a log. It helps me be more aware of patterns and of just what I am asking of myself (or my kids or husband or whatever. So I'm counting this as a Works for Me Wednesday.

Anyway, this is the list of things I did between about 8: 30 and 10:30. I woke up at about 6:30 but spent the first two hours hanging around with Aidan and catching up on my blog reading and writing, making coffee, talking to Kevin, and drinking coffee.

Since then:

  • Scoured upstairs toilet
  • Changed the master bed sheets and Aidan's bedding
  • brought blankets downstairs to wash
  • Got Aidan's meds and his breakfast
  • Tidied floor upstairs -- threw away trash and put away toys and other things.
  • Straightened desktop
  • Told Kieron to straighten his bedside and make his bed-- supervised and encouraged
  • Gathered various cups and bowls from convalescence and brought them downstairs
  • Hung up laundry (we still don't have a working dryer)
  • Wiped the tops of the banisters
  • Tidied the "music center"
  • Broke down the computer boxes from the computer system Kevin bought for his graphics designer
  • Took them out to garage for kindling in the fall
  • Took out the bathroom trash
  • Wiped the trash bucket in the bathroom
  • Scrubbed the sink and spot-mopped the bathroom floor
  • Tidied shelves in bathroom.
  • Got dressed to shoes and put on moisturizer. Never mind hair right now.

Then I went downstairs and :

  • Straightened and cleared basket by entrance (see header)
  • Ate breakfast (stirfry chicken and vegetables)
  • Washed, dried and put away pots and pans
  • Picked up trash on floor of garage and kitchen
  • Rinsed and put away collection of recyclables from when I was gone (I need to add this to the regular chore list)
  • Unpacked hospital baggage
  • Brought folded laundry downstairs
  • Tidied sideboard -- made a pile of things for the library, brought up books and things that belonged upstairs
  • Straightened mudroom, dropped stray shoes in baskets
  • Added some things to Goodwill bag
  • Made more coffee
  • Boys unloaded dishwasher
  • Clare loaded dishwasher and rinsed sink
  • Made shopping list for market run later today
  • Comforted Paddy who needed attention and got breakfast for him (he had oriental, too)

Then I checked to make sure Aidan was OK outside with Brendan keeping an eye on him, and went back upstairs carrying the vacuum and:

  • Tidied storage area behind our bed
  • Tidied floor of closet
  • Vacuumed bathroom and master bedroom with hose attachment
  • talked to Paddy who was playing a flash game and assuring me it was not violent
  • Talked to Clare who politely asked if I needed anything in the bathroom before she took a bath.

That bring us to now! 10:39!

Meanwhile Kevin has been making business calls and setting up accounts, and giving programming work to Liam (who works for him part time) Sean is reading Harry Potter, Kieron is playing Mario and Aidan is watching him.

I will probably continue the log just for the archives, but in another post : ).

2 comments:

Faith said...

Wow, I'm tired after reading all that!

It's not fair that nit picky tidying up, putting things in place, sorting, mopping etc doesn't burn more calories than it does. It's just not fair!

Willa said...

It's so true, Faith. It has to be done now and then, but I wish there was some way to accomplish it at hyperspeed, with the calorie-burning to show for it : )