Friday, September 21, 2007

Quick General Update

I did two tackles in the past couple of days.

One, I organized our video and v-game area. I was going to label my childrens' videos, most of which have lost their cases, but Clare saw me start and volunteered to do it : ). So instead I straightened up the surrounding area, meanwhile muttering mentally about how I was never going to let this happen again. The only idea that comes to me right now is assigning one child a week to reorganize them..... or paying one of them.

Two, I straightened the pantry, which is a walk-in. I was really dreading this because it looked so bad, but I told myself I was just going to straighten a couple of things in there every time I walked in to get something. So of course, that turned the equation around -- I could get ahead by doing more the first time! Works every time; see Frog and Toad. I ended up sweeping and it looks much better though still not in top shape. I'll keep up with my plan of straightening a bit at a time.

Fitness -- for some reason, I dropped a pound below my target weight even though I haven't been keeping track of my eating in my food journal, and ate a bunch of the most wonderful peanut butter cookies over the weekend. That doesn't seem right, but I think it's the time of the month. I've long heard that women actually require more calories post-ovulation (in the 2 weeks before menstruation) and it appears that for me this goes along with a 2 pound weight drop right after ovulation. Not sure why; I thought it should be the other way around. I do gain again in the PMS days. Oh well; this is just something I've become aware of by charting my daily weight for the last four plus months.

I have been trying to at least walk about 7000 steps a day, but usually just stop n start, and so yesterday when I got a chance to take a REAL walk outside without the littlies, I was badly out of shape compared to where I was during the summer. DH has ordered an exercise bike which we are all looking forward to working on this winter when we are snowed in.

We have colds here, and I had an allergic reaction to something when we visited my oldest in college, so I didn't get much done earlier in the week, beyond homeschooling.

Yesterday we had carne asada and fried chicken drumsticks for dinner. The carne asada meat comes thinly sliced and I just put a bit of balsamic vinegar on it beforehand to tenderize it (not much, because I didn't know if it would make it taste weird) then dry seasonings (Pappy's). I seared them for barely five minutes per side and then cut them in slices. With Pepper Jack and Cheddar and tortillas and salsa, it was really good. The fried drumsticks turned out OK, too, though I had never made them before. The ones you get at the deli are still better, though.

No comments: