Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cabbage

Aidan, Liam and I have been enjoying cabbage recently. It's supposed to be pretty healthy, if kept properly stored.

When we had friends visiting, we had a cabbage salad, where we simply substituted cabbage for lettuce (since we were running low on the latter). We had it with a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and maybe something else? I didn't make the dressing, so I'm not sure. But it was quite good.

Recently, I have been chopping up cabbage and cooking it lightly in a wok with some garlic and sometimes some jalapenos. At the valley farmer's market I found some smallish peppers. They had the shape of jalapenos, but were larger and milder -- I'm not sure what they are, but the price is right. Aidan likes to dice them up in large pieces and I add them to the cabbage. I cook with a bit of water for just a few minutes and it is very good with a stir-fry or with the potato & ground beef Liam has made a couple of times.

Here are some cabbage recipes. Kim Chee --- mmmm. My friend up in Oregon, who is Filipina, always has it around her house. I LOVE that stuff. It is good with everything from scrambled eggs, to mac n cheese, to ham and potatoes.

No comments: