Sunday, August 03, 2008

Fitness Update

Latest on the fitness front:

I haven't been doing ANY structured exercise -- that's the bad news.

The good news is that in summer it's easier to be ordinarily active, and so I'm able to get away with no structured exercise -- I'm on the move fairly regularly just in the course of the day.

I've lost 2 more pounds, which brings me within 2 pounds of my goal.

My goal is 132, which used to be my maximum in college. Whenever I hit 132 pounds I knew it was time to cut back on the extras. But now, less than that seems to make me feel TOO thin. I'm in my mid-forties, and from what I see in this chart, it's normal for women to move upwards in weight towards middle age, and then move back down in the elderly years. Outsmarting the Mid-Life Fat Cell, a book by Debra Waterhouse, mentions that a few extra pounds can actually ameliorate the symptoms of menopause. I am a few years away from actual menopause, I think, but I'm definitely in the "peri" range at this point, since she says the process often starts years before the actual change.

I seem to feel at my best now between 130 and 136 pounds, so I'm trying to internalize that as my new range. I only lost 2 pounds this past month, but I did it without even trying, just by eating in a balanced way and trying to focus on healthy choices without depriving myself of treats.

No comments: