Sunday, August 10, 2008

Menu Ideas for this Week

I'm going to try working with the Menu4Moms again. These are pretty much JUST my cooking speed but I can generally not do them exactly for a few reasons:

  • I am a rebel.
  • We live far out of town and my husband does the shopping, so shopping lists have to be planned quite a bit in advance and generally include mostly "the basics".
  • We have a budget (need to save those $$$ for books, you know); so we have a general habit of buying in bulk, so I usually make modifications for "special ingredients".
  • I don't like spending much time in the kitchen AT ALL.... though it might be a good idea to rethink this a bit.
Under these circumstances I thought I'd look through the Menu for the Week and try to pick a few that have some potential, even if I'm not going to use them exactly. Here's what they have:

Monday

* Fajitas
* Corn
* Spanish Rice
I can do that, actually, though we don't have leftover beef from last Friday. Instead I think I will defrost the steak and go from there.

I'm not going to bother with Tuesday's Roast Pork Loin.


Wednesday

* Grilled Hamburgers
* Potato Salad
* Watermelon
This can be done, though more likely on Thursday since we just had hamburgers recently. Sub canteloupe for the watermelon.

Ooh, this looks good.

Thursday

* Chicken Packets
* Cucumber and Tomato Salad
I don't have cucumbers or tomatoes.... maybe worth getting at the local market.... otherwise, substitute some kind of vegetable, possibly frozen. I might try the Corn Zucchini saute from Tuesday.


Friday

* Quick Pork Lo Mein
* Fortune Cookies
Not on Friday since Friday is meatless -- we'll probably have quesadillas on Friday. But maybe on Wednesday, to use the extra beef from Monday.

Other ideas -- or more advanced options:

  • Homemade whole wheat tortillas as suggested?
  • Try making protein bars.
Off to defrost the meat for tomorrow.

No comments: